Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!!

This has been such a fun and crazy weekend! I did a lot of work related activies with City events. I really enjoy my job and all of the fun activities I get to be a part of.

My Thursday started at the crack of dawn, 5:00 a.m. to be exact. (I haven't been up that early in ages!) I met my Women In Business group at the rodeo grounds to be part of Channel 4's Good Morning Utah! We were interviewed because we were having a booth at the Western Stampede and would be selling "Tough Enough To Wear Pink" apparel to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer foundation. One of our primary goals is to raise awareness for breast cancer. My parents filmed the news for me, they are so sweet! And then called me later on and said "so how's the movie star?" lol... they are so fun! So if I somehow can get it figured out, I will put the video clip on here for you all so see me and my five seconds of fame :)
Then Thursday afternoon I spent in the 100 degree heat setting up our booth, but thanks to my great friend Joscie, I survived when she bought me a Route 66 size Strawberry Limeade at Sonic...mmmm.... very good thirst quencher on such a unberably hot day!

I have sure made some great friendships through Women In Business. I appreciate them always being there for me and making everything so fun! Go WIB!!!


Selling shirts was fun, but just proved what I have thought all along, which is I am no saleswoman! I have no problem taking people's money if they want to purchase something, but I don't like to approach people to make a sale.. just part of my personality I suppose. But we were working the booth until 11:00 p.m. and had a great time. Then I went home and took a wonderful cold shower.


Friday Morning (Independence Day) I woke up at 9:00 and went to City Hall to be in the annual parade. That was a lot of fun too!! There was cloud cover, so it wasn't nearly as hot as it was the day before. We rode in a carriage that was pulled behind a horse. We had Craig (my boss) grandkids throwing candy along the parade route and Geoff (Rebecca's husband) was shouting int the bull horn at the crowd... it was great.



The rest of the day was spent with my family at Scott (my brother) house. We had such a delicious dinner. Scott made a smoked brisket in his smoker. I had never had it before, but when he told how it was made, it sounds like it's nothing to go into a 'meals in minutes' cookbook. It took time to marinate, smoke, and then rest before it could be eaten. But it was well worth the effort.. I even asked him if I could make reservations for next time he made it. We had fireworks and then watched the fireworks that were going off in the park from his backyard. It was such a nice day.


Today, Saturday, I went shopping with my mom to help her find different things to decorate her newly remodeled kitchen with. My parents have just given their house a nice new facelift and it's just gorgeous! We had a great time together and it made me wish I had a house to decorate, myself! There are so many fun things out there, no wonder people spend so much money decorating, it can be very contageous! But in about a year, I should be able to get my own little home and can start making it my own, but for now I'll just have to save every penny that I can.

1 comment:

Tanya Searle said...

Valerie,

I am so proud of you! It's been so long since I've seen you. We're hoping to come to Utah for Christmas. Maybe we can get to gether then.

Tanya Searle